18 July 2012

Noodles... in more than 2 minutes.

Noodles. One of my greatest food loves. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not a 2 minute noodle kinda gal. In fact, I've only tried the 2 minute variety once, during food shortages, in Zimbabwe, whilst camping. And I wasn't happy about it. The fact that they come in a packet, and have flavours which include bacon, biltong, Indian wedding and freshly washed linen just seems wrong. 

So this is my take on Asian noodles. And they take longer than 2 minutes :)

Asian Steak Noodles

Meat Ingredients:
  • 2 x Rib eye steaks – approximately 500g together.
  • Hoisin sauce - I always use the Woolworths one.
  • Soy Sauce
  • Chopped fresh ginger
  • Fresh coriander


Combine all of these together and leave to marinade for at least 2 hours. You can be generous with these ingredients, there isn't an exact quantity of each. It depends on the size of your steaks and how much you love each of these delicious ingredients. 

Noodle Ingredients:
  • Any Asian noodle (Pad Thai or Glass Noodles work best) - enough for two, depending on your appetites - I like the Woolworths versions. 
  • 1 whole pineapple, chopped finely
  • Rind of half a lemon, zested
  • A tablespoon of chopped fresh ginger 
  • A chopped handful of fresh coriander
  • A chopped handful of spring onion
  • Soy Sauce
  • Hoisin sauce


Method:

Precook the steak in a frying pan in the sauces it has been marinating in, then set aside. We prefer our steaks medium rare, you can cook yours for slightly longer, but just remember sliced tough meat, really isn't tasty. 

In the same pan, add chopped pineapple, lemon rind, ginger, garlic, coriander, soya and spring onions into the pan. 

Fry lightly, then add the noodles, along with some extra soya and hoisin.

Cook until noodles are ready and all coated in sauce.

Plate and add the steak on top.

Serve with chopped coriander mixed with ginger, salt, sesame oil and pepper and chili on the side.


Deeeelicious

This has to be one of my favourite dishes ever. Either just for two, or for friends and family - nothing makes me happier than tasting the fresh ginger, coriander and delicious Asian flavours.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any Asian dishes you're really fond of, we're always dying to try more.

Enjoy!

xx C

PS, this recipe comes fully husband-approved

2 comments:

  1. Fully husband approved, haha. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now Miss Carey, this has to stop. I am getting fatter by the minute, and my purse is screaming, but your recipes are irresistible. Woolies owes you bigtime. I toddled off to Woolies and bought a packet of rib-eyes (best steak cuts ever!) and my word when I took them out they were the size of pocket editions of the Bible. "Forsooth!", I uttered, "I cannot devour both the Old and New Testament in one night!" I shall have to be prudent,or my aged digestive system will shut down. With disastrous consequences. Hmmm, so I grilled ONE steak for a few minutes on a grill pan,having bashed Genesis out beforehand, just to tenderize. Then, I let it rest, and followed all your wonderful next steps. Or should I say, adapted, as I cut the finished steak into two, and then sliced the one half into ribbons of pink tender unctious meat and piled it ontop of the noodles. The other piece I saved for the next day. Come evening The New Testament was sliced into ribbons, and jumbled up with some wild rocket and spring onions, piled on top of a toasted baguette onto which I had smeared a generous blob of HOT English mustard. A salad of tomato, feta and olives,along with a little helping of Woolies grated beetroot and carrot salad and I had a second meal out of ONE steak. My conscience appeased, my digestive system, relieved. Burp. Ooops. Scooozemoi! Pinkleton.

    ReplyDelete