12 June 2012

A Southern Suburbs institution {Guest Blog}


As you may have gathered from my pics from the weekend yesterday, we spent Sunday lunch at the Vineyard Hotel...






I usually find it quite intimidating eating at hotels. I have absolutely no clue why. 

Ok, that was a lie. I do.

Now please keep in mind that I refer to fancier hotels with the below admission: Hotel guests are usually substantially better dressed than your average South African. Ok me.  What with their Louis Vuitton handbags, Kurt Geiger ballet pumps and clean, fresh European appearance.

In addition, they ARE actually guests at the hotel, not local walk-in’s.  They are always seated when you walk in. There aren’t any available tables. The waiter spots your South African demeanor and ignores you. The service staff are usually akin to the kind you find in boutique clothes shops. Snooty, judgmental and completely unhelpful. It’s unbearably awkward. You fizzle into obscurity.

Dramatic much?

Now forget all that as it wasn’t my impression at all when strolling down the road to the Vineyard Hotel in Newlands, Cape Town this weekend. 


The Vineyard Hotel. Image my own. 


We decided to hit the Vineyard patio for a spot of lunch to celebrate a family member’s birthday. We were graced by the most spectacular weather in Cape Town on Sunday, which is rather unusual, and I wouldn’t suggest the patio if the sun isn’t out.  You aren’t allowed to book on the patio, so if you’re a large group, I would suggest arriving at midday if you want to get a table for lunch.

The menu is fantastically diverse offering everything from spaghetti Bolognese to sushi and fillet to Moroccan chicken wraps.  I went for sushi (do I hear an ‘oh no’ dear reader?).  I would love to tell you otherwise, but even the staid Southern Suburbs delivers a fantastic plate of sushi, and this is definitely the case at the Vineyard. A favourite at the table was the battered fish and chips – the upmarket kind – neat wedges and only the best fillet of fish delicately swathed in a light and fresh batter. After polishing off all my husband’s wedges (paired with his tartare sauce accompaniment) I can authoritatively say that it’s a good option.


Before I stole his wedges. Images my own. 

To be honest, I could rant on about the food, but that’s not where the charm lies in this establishment. The Vineyard Hotel is an oasis in a highly dense residential area boasting rolling lawns, bubbling fountains and their very own Cape Mountain Tortoises of fine old ages. 


Postcard Views. Images my own.

Take a stroll along the banks of the Liesbeek River which trickles through the property and enjoy the serenity in the midst of the frenetic Newlands/Claremont area. Not a block away frantic shoppers whip their way around Cavendish. The Vineyard is what the weekend should be about: great food, incredible surroundings, peace and relaxation.


Loving the sunshine. Image my own. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that most Capetonians are keeping this gem secret from us ex-Joburgers, so don’t tell too many people. Pick a nice day and take the family or a bunch of friends for lunch – the setting is serene and the service impeccable.  


Beautiful Venue. Images my own. 

Visit www.vineyard.co.za for more, or ring them up on 021 657 4501. 

Lisa

To follow Lisa on Twitter click here 

No comments:

Post a Comment