28 May 2012

Doing the laundry...



The French Laundry. 

No, not somewhere Parisian with stylish people eating macaroons and waiting for their washing to be cleaned. It is however, a world renowned restaurant based in California, which if food excites, intrigues, possibly scares you, is on your bucket list. I know it’s on mine. I love the idea of this restaurant, sunny California, French Cuisine where every detail, ingredient, pinch of salt has a purpose and adds dimension and flavour to every dish. 

In the end, a great meal is not about the food and wine. A great meal is an emotional experience. A great meal is a kind of journey that returns you to the sources of pleasure you may have forgotten and takes you to a place you haven’t been before”. - The French Laundry, Philosophy.  


The French Laundry - Image from Pinterest


I bought myself the French Laundry Cookbook last year, in a moment of inspiration, rushed home to consume each and every recipe on my couch, and after 15min of paging through had a complete panic attack. 

This recipe book is on another level. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love cooking, it’s my passion, my favourite thing to do, and recipe books are my quiet place where I can spend hours just me and absolutely delicious inspiring recipes, it doesn't scare me, it inspires me. 


There it is, in all its Glory. Image from Pinterest.


This recipe book scared me. In fact it terrified me. I closed it, popped it onto the shelf and chose to ignore it, completely in denial that I couldn't cook anything out of it. And to be honest. I have yet to, almost a year later, even open it. Fail.

This past weekend however, after the book has glared at me every time I walk into the kitchen, whispering “you have failed me, just attempt something!”, I opened it, and went through every recipe, and have decided I need to start somewhere. 

Now this isn’t a “I wish I was Julie from the movie Julie, Julia” – this is Carey, put on your big girl panties and cook something which makes you uncomfortable (Eeeek) and someone will eat it, even if they lie and tell you it was fabulous, they WILL eat it. 

So after 25min of staring at the content page in fear, trying to work out what sounded, yes, I’ll admit easier, I couldn’t decide between “Braising and the Virtue of the Process” or “Beurre Monte: The Workhorse Sauce”. 

The menu, so inspiring. Image from Pinterest.


Something caught my eye “Infused Oils”. What could be so hard, start easy, you’ll get into it.
What I thought – 1 part oil, 1 part herb, shake, and bob’s your uncle – infused oil. No. You guessed it. I was wrong. 

Herb Oils – where to start

For all herb oils, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Use about ¼ cup of salt for every litre of water. Place the herbs in a strainer and dip them into the water for the allotted time (we’re getting to that, don’t worry), keeping the water at a rapid boil. Remove the strainer and immediately plunge the blanched herbs into an ice-water bath to chill. 

Drain the cold herbs and squeeze as dry as possible. Using scissors to cut them into small pieces (you’ll get more flavour from cutting with scissors than with a knife, strange but true). 

Place half the herbs in a blender with enough of the specified oil just to cover. Turn on the blender to a medium speed and allow the herbs to blend for a minute to begin the process. 

Turn the speed to high and continue to blend for another 2 minutes. Add half of the remaining herbs to the machine and blend for another 2 minutes, then add the remaining herbs and blend for 2 more minutes. Pop the puree into a container and refrigerate for at least a day, this puree can be stored for up to a week, make sure the container is 100% airtight. 

So now, the oil recipes... These are the ones which caught my eye...

Rosemary Oil
  • 1 Cup Rosemary leaves
  • 2 Cups Italian parsley sprigs
  • 1 Cup Canola Oil

Blanching Time: Rosemary, 30seconds: then add the parsley and continue to blanch for another 10seconds. Makes ¼ cup.

Basil Oil
  • 3 Packed cups of Basil leaves
  • About ¾ cup of Olive Oil

Blanching Time: 15seconds. Makes 1/3 cup.

Mint Oil
  • 4 Packed cups Mint leaves
  • About ¾ cup Canola Oil

Blanching Time: 15seconds. Makes 1/3 cup.

Thyme Oil
  • ¼ Cup Thyme leaves and tender stems
  • 3 Cups Italian Parsley sprigs

About ¾ Cup Canola Oil
Blanching Time: Thyme, 30 seconds: then add parsley and continue to blanch for another 10seconds. Makes about 1/3 cup. 

Fabulous oil, for any occasion. Image from Pinterest. 


I have decided to challenge myself, and break the ice with The French Laundry, go on my first date, and make something with Thomas Keller (the Chef and Owner). These oil’s sounded delicious and a great place to start, to get over my fear, and soon I hope to venture out and attempt something spectacular like “Veloute of Bittersweet Chocolate with Cinnamon-Stick Ice Cream”


I’ll let you know once I’ve made these, please let me know if you have cooked anything from The French Laundry Cook Book, if you’ve eaten there and what your experience was. I would love to hear from you.

For more information on The French Laundry, please visit their website here.


xx C


No comments:

Post a Comment