23 May 2012

Greenhouse Splendor at the Exotic Plant Company

As you know, we recently spent the day in Franschoek. For more on that, click here


One of the activities we had planned was a visit the Exotic Plant Company at Môreson. What a treat!

After a superb lunch at Bread & Wine, we walked over to the greenhouse for a look around.


I've had my fair collection of plants, from Cacti, to Rock Roses,  Conifers and little pompom bushes, hanging baskets of flowers and herbs, to Orchids and Geraniums, and this spiky guy on my coffee table which I don't have a clue about. 


Never mind the cute rabbit, what is the Spiky Plant, anyone?




I don't have a garden (just yet), instead I have pots and freshly cut flowers. My favourites (yes, I'll admit I do have favourites) are my Orchids. I adore them, they take pride of place in my home and I do spend quite a bit of time, staring at them, worrying about them, talking to them, moving them about and just generally being in love with them. Don't be fooled. Orchids, are not easy. They can be extremely temperamental, and difficult for the sake of being difficult, however are also incredibly rewarding and beautiful. When I see a new bud or root growing, I literally swoon and bask in the glory of botany splendor. 


So, what did the Exotic Plant Company have in store? Orchids. A whole greenhouse full of Orchids. I was in my element. I was that person who stood in the doorway for a minute with my mouth down to the ground, and my purse shrieking in terror. Orchids. A whole greenhouse full of Orchids.


Have. You. Ever? 


My fiance (bless him) saw the excitement in my eyes, and heard the terror of my bank balance, and very sweetly offered to buy me one. Just one. I could have filled my car with leafy greenness and driven into the sunset, poor, but happy. So now, to choose.


What a choice, there is an extensive variety of Orchids on offer, have a look on their website here, for an idea. Now imagine, all of these plants, looking up at you and saying "I'll look just gorgeous on your coffee table next to the antique silver frame, pick me" I was a tough choice. It did ask the advice of one of the greenhouse assistants and would suggest you do too, as selecting the right one can be tricky. I went straight to the plants which were in full flower and looked tremendous, but was guided to a section of other Orchids, which looked at first a bit disappointing, but on closer inspection had all the magic I was looking for. New buds, or as Orchid people in the know say "sticks". 


So pretty.


After much deliberation, I settled on a a Cymbidium. Which is quite a lot larger than the Phalaenopsis I currently have, but promises to be absolutely gorgeous come flowering time. 






Lisa and the new "child" in the back of my car - told you it was big.


The Exotic Plant Company is owned by Michael Tibbs, and located on the Môreson Wine Estate on Happy Valley Road, Franschhoek.


Such beauties.




Orchid lovers, I would highly recommend this book by Michael Tibbs - Orchids - A practical guide to care and cultivation. 



Open 7 days a week from 10.00 to 16.00


For more of our day in Franschoek, have a look here


If you love Orchids or Franschoek and have any recommendations, please do let me know.


xx C


All images my own. 

1 comment:

  1. I love they way you have laid out the pics - and I share your orchid love. Im becoming besties with the 'oldies' at the Cape Orchid Society. Sad. I know ;)

    ReplyDelete